Thursday 8 March 2012

Where Does It All Go?

Good afternoon everyone! Hope you are enjoying an afternoon break with a warm cup of something yummy. I also want to wish my Mom a super happy, slightly belated, 65th B'day!! WooHoo!!She is officially a sexy senior and counting down the days til she can retire. Wish I was there to help count down and celebrate Mom!! I Love You!!

  I am sort of finding the closer I get to needing my infusion for my R/A next week, the later my day is starting and the less I have been getting done. So I apologize for not blogging lately, but I'm backkkkkkkkkk and here we go! heehee!!

I can not believe it is already MARCH!! Holy Moly!!! When did that happen?? It barely seems like we were putting Christmas decorations away. And this past solid week we have had snow and it looks more like Christmas out there then it did at the holiday itself.I wish I had taken a before and after picture of the house. The amount of snow out there is crazy. Ugh! And my 8yr old nephew from out east gleefully told me it as 16c over there. Grrrr.

Oh well...summer shall be here soon enough! I even ordered seeds yesterday, been lingering in the gardening sections in the stores, mentally planning new garden layouts, out door  projects, summer escapes...sigh! Melt snow!!! MELT!!


These last few months seem to have been rather expensive months also. It almost seems like every time one of the boys walks in he has a sheet from school asking for money for some trip or camp. My youngest alone has a ski trip ($300) Spring Break trip with Cadets($200) needs a deposit for summer camp ($200) and I just saw his glasses last night...YIKES...the middle one needed glasses($300), some fancy calculator($125), football registration ($300), and thankfully he works so he pays for a lot of the extras like his clothing.

 My husband looks at me after every paycheck and says "where did it all go??"I always feel so bad because he does works so very hard and he makes a good wage, it just these things just are so incredibly expensive and the schools hand out these forms and expect all the kids to participate. I felt horrible telling my youngest he couldn't go skiing. Thankfully there were 3 of them not going to we are not the only rotten parents in the class.

I look back to my childhood and some of these kinds of opportunities were offered to us but I don't remember that the majority of the school went on the trips. And travelling out of country?Ha!! Not a chance! Our family didn't have the money and it didn't bother me. That was just the way it was.

 I was chatting with my mom the other day and she said to me that she had to wait til she was in her 60's before she got to travel, why should I feel bad if my kids don't get to travel before I do? Why do we, as parents, feel compelled to sign up for everything their little hearts desire? Why do we need to get bank loans just so little Johnny can run around in some fancy pair of cleats and fancy sports wear (in our house, Under Armour is the only thing they will wear!) and you know the following year they will have out grown it all and you will have to buy it all again.

I'm fortunate as my boys are finally working and buying their own special stuff and not growing so much any more. Its still hard to say no or I'm not sure to an anxious kid who desperately wants to do these exciting opportunities. Argh! if only I had that money tree those kids seem to think we have...
Have a great afternoon!! I think I hear a nap calling me....

1 comment:

  1. I can recall a time when Value Village was the cats meow when it came to selecting clothes for my children! If you watched close enough you could find a brand name pair of jeans! But a switch goes off and then the kids feel as though they have to have everything brand name or at least as popular a brand as the others in their class. After that happens it is very hard to get them back! Although once they have jogs and have to buy their own clothes it is interesting to see how it changes! lol
    Take care Mickiee!

    ReplyDelete